This is the time of year when normally I would be encouraging students to attend a local college fair. While in-person fairs are temporarily on hold, the good news is some great organizations have created virtual fairs, so you can learn about schools and meet admissions reps from the comfort of your home.
A few tips:
- Make sure you register in advance to attend the sessions offered by the colleges you are interested in (you don’t want to get locked out if they cap registration).
- Write down a few questions that you want to ask the speaker during the Q&A portion of the session.
- Record your thoughts about each school.
- Remember to write down the contact information of the admissions counselors for schools you are considering in case you have a follow up question or to send a thank you note if appropriate.
Check out these upcoming fairs:
- SUNY Colleges and Universities: https://www.suny.edu/attend/events/virtual-college-fair/
- NACAC (National Association for College Admissions Counseling) [this one is in conjunction with the Common App]: https://virtualcollegefairs.org/
- Coalition App [this is a list of fairs plus other events hosted by the Coalition App]: https://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/events
- Inclusive College Programs: https://www.sotaconference.com/college-fair.html
- Performing Arts Colleges: https://www.musicadmissionsroundtable.org/student-information